NEAF Saturday Seminar series: Great Cities
Great Cities of the Ancient Near East | Saturday Seminar Series
Aleppo, Ain Dara, Ebla and Ugarit: In the Land of the Weather God
Dr Ross Burns | University of Sydney
Abstract: What do these sites in Northern Syria have in common—Aleppo, Ain Dara, Ebla and Ugarit? What do these places tell us that we didn’t know before?’ Explore some new perspectives on the Bronze and Iron Ages in an area which for millennia was the fulcrum of trade, religious and political exchanges across the Eastern Mediterranean. Ross has been looking again at these sites in the process of preparing a new volume which will complement, not replace, Monuments of Syria—tracing the main themes in Syria’s history through 40 chosen monuments.
These online lectures will be delivered via Zoom and will start at 10am and last for approximately two hours for each individual study day. A short 5-minute introduction will start each Saturday series, followed by a two-hour lecture by a single speaker, all except for Saturday 17 and 24 July, which will have two presentations broken into two 45-minute lectures. There will be a ten-minute coffee-break between the two sessions and there will be time for questions at the end of the presentations.
- The lectures will be held remotely via Zoom.
- The lecture will start at 10am with a break at 10.45, then the second lecture will begin at 11 am and finish at 11.45.
- The lecturer will be available to answer questions at the end of each session.
- The cost of the series is:
- NEAF Members: $20 per session All 4 sessions: $60
- Non-Members $30 per session All 4 sessions: $90
- All students are free
- A minimum of 20 is required for each lecture for this series to run – our upper limit is 300 per lecture.
- Once payment is received a receipt and Meeting ID and password will be sent to you.
- To avoid this being passed onto anyone who has not paid, participants will be matched against a list by their screen name to ensure they are a financial participant. Please ensure your zoom screen name correctly identifies you or telephone number if you are connecting via telephone and add this in the area provided when you book.
Hosted by the Near Eastern Archaeology Foundation (NEAF)